Regenerative aesthetics is creating a lot of excitement as an evidence-based and comprehensive approach to age management and is quickly becoming the future of cosmetic medicine. So, what exactly is ‘regenerative aesthetics’ anyway?
Regenerative aesthetics refers to the application of regenerative medicine principles in aesthetic or cosmetic treatments, products and services. Regenerative medicine is the harnessing or management of the body’s own natural potential to repair, restore and rejuvenate damaged or aging cells and structures to a more healthy and youthful state. The human body is blessed with an incredible potential to repair and rejuvenate itself through the intricate and complicated interaction of stem cells, their specific signaling peptides and growth factors.
It’s amazing to think that the over 37 trillion specialized cells that compose the average adult human body were all created from just 2 parental cells at fertilization! Stem cells are the specific pluripotent cells that provide powerful forces within our own bodies to repair, restore and regenerate any tissues. There are 2 basic types of stem cells: embryonic stem cells which are present during fetal development and are nonspecific and can develop into any cell type in the human body. The other major type are adult stem cells which are distributed throughout the body in various tissues and function as our ‘replacement parts’ as they function to replace tissue cells that are damaged or aged. Growth factors or ‘cytokines’ and other signaling peptide messengers then direct the stem cells and other cells to perform specific functions in the repair or replacement and regeneration of aged, damaged or compromised cell tissues. Harnessing and controlling this incredibly powerful system of cell function is the basis of regenerative medicine and regenerative aesthetics.
evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics has been actively involved in developing and integrating customized and holistic, evidence-based aesthetic patient programs for longer lasting and more balanced outcomes. Focusing the potential of regenerative aesthetics creates exciting and game changing opportunities in many areas of great interest to patients:
– Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Growth Factors: the platelets and various natural growth factors and signaling proteins in our blood are harvested by a simple patient blood draw procedure, processed and concentrated. The resulting patient’s own PRP is then used to enhance microneedling, laser, fat grafting and a variety of other regenerative treatments to rejuvenate tissues and enhance results with minimally invasive techniques.
– Regenerative Micro and Macro Fat Grafting: Fortunately, the largest reservoir of adult stem cells is the subcutaneous fat underneath the skin. Removing excess fat by gentle ultrasonic (Vaser) or other techniques and purifying the fat cells for grafting has multiple applications in facial and body contouring aesthetics as well as in scar therapy such as post mastectomy radiation treatment. Stem cells and natural growth factors are extracted from the excess fatty tissue and concentrated and then added to the fat grafts and PRP for injection in the skin (micro fat grafting) or for enhancing fat graft results in volume restoration and skin rejuvenation.
– Facial Rejuvenation: Comprehensive and more natural appearing and long-lasting results in facial aging treatments require more than surgical lifting procedures alone. Restoring youthful and more balanced outcomes can be achieved with less invasive procedures combined with volume restoration and skin rejuvenation by customizing regenerative aesthetic options such as stem cell and PRP enhanced micro fat grafting.
– Regenerative Medical Skin Care: Stem cell extracted growth factors and signaling peptides are of great interest in skin rejuvenation. These products combined with an individualized program have already achieved remarkable results in evidence based clinical studies as well as in our evolv patient programs. ZO Skin Health Growth Factor Serum (GFS), Alastin Skincare Restorative Skin Complex, and DefenAge Skin Care’s Bioserum with biomimetic signaling peptides (defensins) are leading the way to a revolution in restoring skin health and youthful skin function and appearance through the use of exciting new products based on the principles of regenerative aesthetics.
– Hair Restoration: Unlike topical synthetic products like minoxidil that stimulate hair growth but have limited effect, regenerative techniques utilizing the patient’s own PRP and extracted stem cell products as well as biomimetic growth factors have revolutionized the treatment of hair loss and hair restoration by providing a more natural and long lasting stimulation of the native hair follicle and healthier hair growth.
– Breast and Body Contouring: PRP and stem cell enhanced fat grafting offer considerably improved and longer lasting outcomes in breast augmentation and reconstruction either alone or with implants, and in buttock and body enhancement (ultrasonic liposuction and fat grafting, ‘Brazilian Butt Lift).
– Office Based Fat Reduction: The results with non-surgical and energy-based options such as Vanquish ME for targeted excess fat reduction and skin tightening may be enhanced significantly by combination topical products such as the just released Alastin’s TransForm Body Treatment which uses proprietary peptide technology to remove fat particles generated from the procedure more efficiently while stimulating collagen and elastin production to firm skin. ZO Skin Health’s Cellulite Control Treatment can also improve results by reducing the appearance of cellulite with these treatments.
– Injectable Fillers: Restoring lost volume to reduce facial aging with bio-identical products is a popular office procedure. Designing combination fillers with the patient’s own fat cells and PRP enhancement added to filler options may provide longer lasting and more comprehensive results.
– Microneedling Regenerative Skin Therapy: Non thermal microneedling and energy based thermal microneedling (Infini RF) are excellent options to stimulate natural wound healing and regenerative potential to rejuvenate aging skin and reduce acne and other scarring. Combining PRP, growth factors or natural signaling peptides (DefenAge Bioserum) can add significant potential benefits to these techniques and patient outcomes.
– Laser and Light-Based Skin Rejuvenation: Lasers utilize light-based energy to remove aging or damaged skin cells and stimulate regenerative repair and healing. Combining topical PRP and growth factors has been clinically proven to significantly improve the quality of results as well as the longevity of the outcomes. Sciton’s state of the art erbium fractional laser (Sciton Halo Pro) combined with topical regenerative products and techniques has resulted in exciting outcomes for evolv patients as well as improved safety and reduced times.
– Skin Cancer Prevention: Skin cancer is by far the most common of all cancer types and is increasing in incidence. There are nearly 70 million Americans living with precancerous skin lesions and that number is increasing. Exciting new dermatological research has proven that stimulation of specific cells (fibroblasts) in the skin with fractional lasers (Halo Pro) or dermal microneedling may result in lowering skin cancer risk by the increased production of natural peptides that identify and eliminate certain pre-cancerous skin cells. Combining these bioregenerative procedures with a customized medical skin care plan may lower skin cancer risk and improve skin health.
The growing and exciting potential of regenerative medicine will play an increasingly significant role in the future of plastic surgery as well as aesthetic care. Dr Barone and many of the evolv professional staff have just returned from the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting in New Orleans which is the premier educational event in aesthetics. The clinical research and interest in regenerative medicine is increasing dramatically as was evident by the multiple presentations and sessions by the leaders in plastic surgery. There is a growing demand by patients of all ages for aesthetic programs that focus on prevention, less invasive treatments and particularly harnessing the natural healing and rejuvenative potential of the human body which define the fundamentals of regenerative aesthetics.
To learn more about these exciting options, contact any of the professional staff at evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics.
And may we wish a very Happy Father’s Day to all the Dad’s out there!