About this Treatment
The proprietary EVOLV Pulse Peel Program is a no-downtime and research-based skin treatment regimen that has been clinically proven to significantly reduce precancerous skin lesions and lower non-melanoma skin cancer risk while simultaneously improving skin health and reducing the signs of sun damage and aging.
The EVOLV Pulse Peel Program is comprehensive and involves a 3-step process of medically based skincare preparation, followed by once a week 15-minute pulse peels regimen, and then a maintenance program to achieve the maximal reduction in skin cancer risk and precancerous lesions while also optimizing skin health and youthfulness. The EVOLV Pulse Peel Program is fully customizable to each patient’s risk factors, skin type, and goals and is often eligible for insurance coverage.
What It Is
Prolonged exposure to the ultraviolet (UV) rays in sunlight often results in premature aging and damage to the skin as well as pre-cancerous skin lesions referred to as actinic keratoses (AK’s) and high risk of squamous cell and basal cell skin cancers.
Although there are many medical and treatment options for treating pre-cancerous skin lesions, combining the FDA approved anti-cancer topical medication 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) with natural fruit acid skin exfoliating and peeling agents in a once-a-week treatment program has been clinically proven to significantly reduce pre-cancerous AK lesions and general sun damage and can be utilized over large areas such as the face, neck, scalp, and any risk areas of the body.
EVOLV’S unique Pulse Peel Program combines this clinically tested treatment option with a medical skincare-based preparation treatment as well as a post peel regimen to maximize the cancer reduction benefits, optimize skin health, and reduce potential complications from treatment.
The Pulse Peel Program’s unique combination of skin preparation followed by the application of a chemical peeling agent with the 5-FU topical applications in a once-a-week program minimizes skin reaction and downtime while having equal or superior results to other skin cancer prevention treatment options.
What It Treats
Precancerous Skin Lesions (actinic keratoses or ‘AK’s’)
High Skin Cancer Risk Patients
Sun Damaged Skin
Premature Signs of Skin and Photoaging
Dry, Flaking, and Aged Skin
- Typically, less than 20 minutes
- Although some patients will experience transient and mild redness, there is usually no downtime and normal activities can be resumed immediately after each weekly pulse peel. Sun protection with a medically based physical sunscreen is necessary while under treatment.
- Pulse peels are not painful although some tingling or similar sensations may be experienced after the procedure.
- Reduced Precancerous Skin Lesions When combining the pretreatment skin preparation regimen, the EVOLV Pulse Peel Program typically results in a significant reduction in precancerous skin lesions over the entire treatment area.
- Less Risk of Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer The treatment regimen involved in the EVOLV Pulse Peel Program has been proven in clinical studies to lower the risk of skin cancer by up to 70-80% in most patients.
- Beneficial to Patients of Any Age or Skin Type The Pulse Peel Program can be used on all skin types and in any age, patients except in rare occasions when there are allergies to the topical medications involved.
- No Downtime or Discomfort There is typically no discomfort and no down time with the treatments, and they are customizable to each patient’s goals.
- Skin Preparation is Key to Great Results The pre-peel preparation regimen at EVOLV is essential to provide optimal cancer reduction benefits and consistent results with the Pulse Peel Program.
- Patients Enjoy Both Therapeutic and Cosmetic Improvement The EVOLV Pulse Peel Program provides not only significant therapeutic benefits over the entire treated area, but also considerable cosmetic improvement in younger and healthier appearing skin with less signs of aging.
How Pulse Peels Work
After a focused medical history and skin cancer risk assessment, we will do a comprehensive skin evaluation to consider treatment options and determine if the EVOLV Pulse Peel Program is right for you. Based on your skin type, risk factors, and evaluation, a personalized preparation program utilizing an exfoliant and Vitamin A topicals or a more comprehensive skincare program will be recommended. This pretreatment preparation program is essential to getting optimal and consistent results and works by removing excess dead skin cells and stimulating circulation and new skin cell growth to allow the treatment medications to then be absorbed properly and to have maximal effect in removing precancerous cells and lesions. In addition, our staff will determine if you might be eligible for insurance coverage for the Pulse Peel Program.
Pulse Peel treatments are typically once a week for 8-10 weeks if the patient schedule allows. The Pulse Peel is done by the EVOLV licensed aestheticians with specialized training in this procedure in the treatment room and usually takes less than 20 minutes. You may experience warmth or a tingling sensation over the treatment area but there is usually no discomfort and pain medication, or numbing is not needed. The 5-FU solution remains on the skin for 24 hours and we will recommend a moisturizer to prevent dryness and inflammation. A slight amount of redness or pink color may persist for the first 24 hours but is usually minor and most patients can return to work or resume normal activities immediately after treatment. We will also recommend a medical grade physical sunscreen for protection.
After completing the Pulse Peel series of treatments, we will reevaluate your progress and skin. If the precancerous lesions are severe, photodynamic light therapy or laser therapy may be considered, which are also research-proven clinical treatment options to reduce precancerous lesions and lower skin cancer risk.
After completing the EVOLV Pulse Peel Program, we will recommend a maintenance medical skincare regimen to increase the therapeutic as well as aesthetic benefits for your skin in reducing skin cancer risk and restoring optimal skin health and youthfulness. We will personalize the maintenance program to each patient’s skin type, risk factors, and goals.
What Our Patients Are Saying
I can’t brag enough about this doctor and staff, they make you feel like family the moment you walk in the door. They take time to explain everything step by step as needed to you, they don’t rush you, let’s just some it up THEY CARE I will be back for many more things to come… Thank You
I was so happy to finally find someone that would accept the challenge I presented. Heavy radiation caused massive scarring and disfigurement. I did not expect too much, considering what was left to work with. Dr. Barone did a wonderful job, far exceeding my hopes.
Wonderful staff and an awesome experience, I would recommend highly.
Exceptional and professional service. Very friendly staff! Took time as much as I needed and answer all my questions. I felt very comfortable with the procedure and follow up. Definitely coming back!
I have had nothing but exceptional results from eVolv Plastic Surgery. Best team of professionals out there for all your cosmetic needs.
Dr. Barone is a skilled, professional surgeon who is very concerned with aesthetics based on your own body. He will not try to “make you look like so and so”. He takes your ethnicity, skin, and shape to create the best “you” possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Safety Matters.
At EVOLV Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics, we believe that a highly educated and experienced physician or provider is paramount in providing safe and consistent treatments to our patients.
That is why we promote ongoing education and are committed to completing in-depth training on each treatment and injectable product to ensure safe and effective application and outcomes.