Welcome to the Holiday Season from all of us at evolv!
The Thanksgiving through Christmas Holiday season has always been my favorite time of year for many reasons. Growing up in a large Italian family in the 60’s meant lots of family traditions, celebration, anticipation and best of all…..Rosie’s (my Mom) food!
This is a time of year that just about everyone can appreciate. Who among us wouldn’t benefit from a little more gratitude in their lives? A little less taken for granted; a little more time to stop and smell the roses. Even though this season can be the ‘best of times’ for many, it can also be one of the most stressful and challenging as well.
Evolutionary scientists believe there may be a negativity bias built in to the human brain……it’s easier to survive threats and danger if you are constantly on guard, suspicious or worried. Unfortunately, it just may be a human nature survival instinct to dwell too much on what’s wrong rather than appreciate what’s right. Have you ever noticed that after you’ve had a backache, you are grateful when it goes away? But how many of us woke up this morning and were thankful for not having a backache?
Science has also taught us that chronic stress, anxiety and worry can also make us physically ill and shorten our lives. Conversely, studies also prove that the practice of developing a more positive attitude, and being grateful and appreciative, can also improve our health, well-being and longevity.
What if this year we could truly take stock of the good and get some balance to correct the bias of negativity that is hardwired into our ‘survival human brains?’ What if we could find an ‘attitude of gratitude?’ Here are three suggestions on how to do it:
1) ‘Accounting of the Soul’
In his ‘Nightly Gratitude Meditation,’ Jeff Warren recommends that every evening we just think of a single thing or event from the day that was good or positive in our life. It’s not complicated or difficult…..just a single thing that matters and is positive. You could appreciate someone in your family, a friend, your work, your health, anything…..there’s a lot of good out there if only you could just stop for a moment and listen.
2) Share your Feelings
This season provides a great opportunity to open up and share your feelings. Feelings and emotions are a very powerful force in our lives, and sharing them with family or friends can reduce stress and be a very healthy mental exercise. Just letting those you work or live with know how much you appreciate them can bring happiness and peace of mind not only to others, but also to ourselves.
3) Consider the Present Moment and Then Let Go
The realization and acceptance that nearly all worry and anxiety and tension are rooted in thoughts of the past or future is the basis of meditation practice. Perhaps that is why meditation philosophy focuses on releasing all of the constant ‘chatter’ in our heads, to let go of worries of the future or thoughts of the past, and just sit back and observe the moment, just hang out.
The spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle said ‘turn your entire attention to the now, and tell me what your problem is.’ This may sound naive, impractical or unrealistic because the ‘present moment’ is not the whole story and we do indeed have problems in this world. But although it may take a little effort and consistency, it is possible to stop for a moment, to practice mindfulness, and learn how to let go of thoughts of the past or future, just for a moment, to rest.
I can personally support the benefits of this practice. I lost my mother of 98 years after a wonderful, lifelong relationship, earlier this year. Rosie was a selfless and special woman who touched so many lives. As I sat at her bedside overwhelmed with thoughts of sadness and worry and struggle, I found a moment when I just let it all go. And then I noticed the snow softly falling on the trees, there was a beauty in her face, there was love all around, there was continuity….and that is when I found peace, with all of it.
Thanksgiving and the Holiday Season are a once a year opportunity for ‘gratitude practice.’ And it is that ‘attitude of gratitude’ that can provide a wonderful possibility to be ‘calm in your heart’ and to find peace….right there in the midst of all the anxiety, noise and trouble of a crazy and beautiful life!
All of us at evolv are thankful and appreciate you and the belief and trust that you have placed in us for you care.
Happy Holidays and Blessings to all of you and your families!
Even though it was over 30 years ago, I will never forget her face.
She was a young mother and school teacher with 2 small children and I was a first year plastic surgery resident. She had a mastectomy for breast cancer and was left with a large and painful tight scar. The implant that had been placed by my instructor under the scar was hard, unnatural and uncomfortable…..at that time in the mid 1980’s there just were not many options or choices. She looked at me and I did not know what to say to comfort her. That was the day I decided to seek post graduate training in breast reconstruction and that young mother, with the eyes I cannot forget, changed my life forever.
This year an estimated 230,000 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer but less than 25% of those women will be aware of their reconstructive options before treatment. The breast cancer experience touches not only those women but also their spouses, their children, their families and their lives for years. The breast cancer experience involves much more than just removing a tumor or having a mastectomy, it is a journey that can involve medical and other post-operative treatments as well as impact a women’s personal life and self-confidence and relationships at every level. In short it will someday effect all of us and someone we love.
The really exciting news is that the breast cancer experience is changing significantly for the better for a variety of reasons:
– Education and Patient Awareness – public awareness and educational efforts by a number of professional organizations have resulted in women being more informed and aware of their options. The American Cancer Society, the American Society of Plastic Surgery, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, The Victory Center and many others are doing an incredible job of communicating useful information to patients and their families. The best informed patients make the best choices!
– Identifying Risks and Cancer Prevention – the most effective way to fight cancer is prevention. New research on nutrition and life style as well as genetic testing to quantify risk factors have actually made a substantial difference in breast cancer incidence. Advances in genetic mapping have made great progress and resulted in improved options and treatment outcomes for patients at risk. Prophylactic mastectomy or removing the breast tissue to prevent cancer in high risk individuals, as popularized by actress Angelina Jolie, can reduce cancer risk by 90-95% in appropriate patients and result in excellent aesthetic outcomes. We encourage everyone to learn more about these exciting advances in order to protect themselves and their families.
– Early Detection – After prevention, the next most effective way to impact breast cancer is early diagnosis. Improved patient education and self-exam, consistent doctor’s visits, advances in imaging techniques such as mammography, ultrasound, MRI and other scans have resulted in earlier detection of breast cancer and breast ‘pre-cancers’ which will improve the overall patient experience and outcomes as well as reduce breast cancer morbidity.
– Improved Surgical and Reconstructive Techniques – Significant advances in biomaterials for breast implants and implantable materials (acellular dermal matrix) to help shape breast reconstruction procedures, have resulted in much more natural breast shapes as well as improved safety and less recovery. Earlier detection and research on tumor biology have resulted in less invasive resection procedures (lumpectomy and mastectomy) and options such as sparing the breast skin and nipple in appropriate patients. Placement of implants above the chest wall muscle (pre-pectoral reconstruction) and advances in tissue flap surgery reduce recovery time and have improved results for patients dramatically. Our very own Dr. Peter Koltz, an associate with Dr. Barone at evolv Plastic Surgery, completed advanced training in tissue flap surgery for breast reconstruction last year and has been offering these options for patients in the Toledo area.
– Post Treatment Quality of Life Improvement – the consequences of breast cancer treatment do not stop after the procedures have ended. Many patients taking estrogen blocking medication or other targeted chemotherapy or radiation deal with side effects such as bone and heart health, hair loss, premature skin aging, tissue dryness and laxity, post-menopausal vaginal dryness and urinary incontinence. This often results in femininity and intimacy challenges, sexual difficulties and overall loss of self-confidence and intimacy. New advances in clinically proven topicals, non-estrogen growth factors and other therapies can reduce symptoms and help restore confidence and vitality. Regenerative treatments with platelet rich plasma (PRP) and other stem cell growth factors as well as collagen stimulating noninvasive technologies have given many patients much improvement in these issues and a better quality of life.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and October 17th is Breast Cancer Awareness Day (or ‘BRA Day’). Please support these worthwhile programs and help bring more awareness, education and encouragement for the many women, men and their families that are dealing with this life changing issue. We invite you to join myself, Dr. Peter Koltz and the evolv staff at Rosie’s on Wednesday, October 17th to support BRA DAY and spread the word on the improving awareness and quality of life for breast cancer patients and families.
Yes the breast cancer experience is changing for the better and helping improve the quality of life for many. Advances in clinical research, cancer biology, genetic testing, surgical and reconstructive option have transformed the breast cancer experience in such positive way. The quality and safety of new reconstruction choices and postoperative treatment options can restore a patient’s self-confidence and lifestyle. As plastic surgeons we now may often hear a post reconstructive patient say, “Doctor, I sometimes forget I had a mastectomy!”
And I am forever grateful to that young mother and cancer survivor that inspired me with her courage so many years ago.
Just as evolv keeps on evolving – Brilliant Distinctions® by Allergan has released some important product rule changes and new opportunities to earn more Brilliant Distinction Points!
Brilliant Distinctions – Botox Points
New changes in product rules include:
- Members can earn a maximum of 200 points per 90 days, regardless of the treatment area.
- Patients can still receive treatments in various areas within a 90-day period (following safety requirements), but will not earn points on those treatments.
- Rebates and rewards can still be redeemed on eligible Botox® treatments within a 90-day period, however, points will not be earned on those treatments that are within 90 days.
How to Earn More BD Points
Watch videos on the BD website and mobile app!
This is an exciting new way and opportunity for you to earn points, while you learn more about what treatments you’re receiving and explore BD’s program benefits and functionalities. Here are some tips on how to make the best of your BD points!
- Members must be logged in to earn points when watching videos
- Members can earn 20 points per unique video watched and up to 60 points (3 videos) every rolling 12 months
- Points earned from watching videos are non-tier qualifying, but watching videos extends points expiration
Become a Brilliant Distinctions Member
Do you want to become a BD Member? It’s simple to sign up. Click here to get started.
If you have any questions on how to become a Brilliant Distinctions Member or how to maximize the benefits, don’t hesitate to contact our office today for more information!
Spring is coming … Finally!
Spring is a season of renewal, and this April evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics would like to focus on the importance of medical skin peels to renew and rejuvenate the skin.
Like so many areas of aesthetics, skin resurfacing by medical peels has evolved significantly. The ‘peels of the future’ are now available and this new generation of clinical peel offers some very significant advantages for patients of all ages and all skin types including:
- Stimulation of deep dermal collagen and elastin to restore youthful skin tone
- Improved absorption and efficacy of skin care products
- Reduction of fine lines and ‘age spots’ or hyperpigmentation
- Removal of aged or damaged outer skin cells for a younger looking complexion
- Specialized peels that are proven to reduce skin cancer risk
- Reduced or no ‘down-time’ peels
The natural aging process, menopause, stress and excessive sun damage can all drastically slow down the process of natural exfoliation, or loss of outer surface cells, as well as new collagen production. The result is dry, pigmented, thin and wrinkled skin that is prematurely aged and a significant increase in skin cancer risk.
The new generation of chemical peels from ZO Skin Health Research provides the unique benefits of gentle removal of aged, outer cells and unique deep tissue stimulation which results in replacement and rejuvenation of the skin. Another key benefit is a reduction in skin cancer risk and the restoration of optimal skin health and youthfulness. Many of the fundamental health benefits that we are so passionate about for our patients and families here at evolv can be more effectively achieved with proper skin peels in a medical skin care comprehensive plan.
Because of these fundamental benefits of clinical peeling, for the month of April at evolv we will be featuring all three of our ZO peels as our spotlighted treatments. Not only are there chemical peels promotions this month, but we also have some great value on laser hair removal treatments too!
Interested in learning more about the details of these promotions? Please click on this link http://evolvmedicalaesthetics.com/patient-resources/exclusive-offers/ and learn all about the details and added value we are offering this month to kick off Spring!
ZO® Professional Treatment
evolv’s Summer Invisapeel™ Intensive Resurfacing Treatment is a no downtime, no peel, resurfacing treatment for all skin types, even sensitive or weakening skin. This treatment provides gentle exfoliation that immediately revives dull-looking skin, replenishes skin moisture, and minimizes the appearance of discoloration. Thus, this treatment promotes a more even skin tone and complexion.
Receive your skin’s barrier from sun damage and experience an Invisapeel™ Resurfacing Treatment today! Call our office for more details!
Watch below as one of our licensed aestheticians performs this treatment and revitalizes this beautiful young lady’s skin health & glow:
Dr. Barone and evolv Medical Aesthetics are happy to announce our new patient rewards program, Belly!
Build points with each visit to the practice and redeem your points for products and services! Evolv Rewards is managed through Belly, an app you can download on your iPhone or Android device to manage your rewards. Don’t have a smart phone? Don’t worry! We have key cards available in the office.
Learn more at your next visit to evolv, or click the belly logo to sign up or to learn more!
Join us on Tuesday, July 26th to learn more about Kybella, the newest non-surgical injectable treatment that is FDA approved to reduce fat in the chin area! Meet the fabulous Allison Sleight from Allergan Facial Aesthetics who has all the details on this amazing new contouring procedure. We will have brief presentations at 10 am and 12 pm, you can get an instant assessment to see if you’re a candidate, and we have a fantastic special pricing opportunity that you do not want to miss! Contact the office at (419)720-2008 with your questions, or visit our Facebook event page for updates!
We will also be serving refreshments, and offering an extended day for our excellent Christmas in July specials all day on 7/26 from 9am to 7pm!
Special Peel Event
Peel Days April 14th & 15th – 20% off ZO Peels and up to 20% off products! $50 reservation fee required to schedule.
$99 Skin Care Service
Express Yourself combines a relaxing facial with the exfoliating power of a dermaplane, finished off with a powerful ZO Masque all in 30 minutes!
ZO Ossential Lash Enhancing Serum – Buy One, Get One Free
Spring Makeup Exclusive
Purchase the new Naturally Matte Eyeshadow Kit and receive a free makeup application – great gift for Mother’s Day!
Enhance your Infini RF and Eclipse MicroPen results with the Renew free gift from evolv and ZO Skin Health when you purchase a package of these services.