Photodynamic Therapy is an exciting technology that combines a topical medication with a specific wavelength of light. The medication most commonly used for these treatments is called Levulan (or ALA), which is activated by the light source when left on the skin. Patients may undergo photodynamic therapy to reduce precancerous skin lesions, treat acne, reduce sun damage and rejuvenate the skin.
Photodynamic therapy is a powerful and effective technique that can benefit a number of skin conditions such as:
- Reducing the number of precancerous skin lesions and early skin cancers
- Eliminating bacteria that cause acne and reduce outbreaks
- Reducing the number of active oil glands and improving the appearance of pores
- Improving fine lines by increasing collagen production
- Reducing sun damage and rejuvenating the skin
Before undergoing photodynamic therapy, each patient must be evaluated by Dr. Barone. Preparation and post-treatment skin care are important to maximize results and minimize any side effects. Many patients with a history of skin cancer or precancerous lesions may be eligible for insurance coverage for this procedure.