Use of Fat for Volume Enhancement
What is Fat Transfer and Fat Grafting?
Fat Transfer or grafting refers to harvesting a portion of a patient’s own fat and then processing it to obtain specialized living fat cells, stem cells, and natural growth factors which are then injected in the same patient for multiple therapeutic and regenerative benefits.
Dr. Frank Barone, a leading board certified plastic surgeon, has many years of clinical experience in safe and effective fat transfer for many patient benefits.
Who is a good candidate?
The use of a patient’s own cells and growth factors to repair, restore, and rejuvenate is the fundamental concepts of Regenerative Medicine. This exciting cell targeted therapy constitutes the most natural and long lasting treatment methods in aesthetic medicine. Fat grafting or fat transfer, often combined with multiple growth factors (PRP or platelet rich plasma) can benefit anyone interested in reducing scars or tissue damage, rejuvenation aging skin, restoring natural, youthful volume to the face, breasts and buttocks.
A consultation with Dr. Barone can help determine your options with fat transfer and PRP.
What to expect with Fat Transfer / Grafting
Depending on the individualized treatment plan and patient goals, fat can be harvested from any donor site where there may be excess using a gentle form of liposuction. For smaller volumes, fat is suctioned with a small syringe under local anesthesia, adding sedation if needed, in the office procedure room. Larger amounts are usually obtained during body contouring or facial aesthetic surgery under general anesthesia in the outpatient surgery center at Regency (located in the first floor of our office building). The PRP (platelet rich plasma) is extracted after drawing the patient’s blood and combined with the processed fat grafts for injection.
How are Fat Grafts used and what are the benefits?
- Fat grafts, which contain powerful stem cells, something combined with the signaling natural growth factors in PRP have a variety of exciting and research proven benefits for patients.
- Purified living fat grafts used along can restore volume and youthful contour to aged or deflated skin areas of the cheeks, lips, face, breasts and buttocks. These are termed ‘structured fat grafts.’
- Structured fat grafts are also beneficial in restoring contour to damaged and scarred tissue after trauma or surgery.
- Hair restoration – fat grafts combined with PRP have been shown in clinical studies to noticeably reduce and prevent hair loss for men and women, but also stimulate new hair growth by uniquely rejuvenating in active hair follicles.
- Breast reconstruction and breast augmentation – fat grafts and PRP can be used as a type of ‘natural filler’ to enhance breast size and shape as well as provide improved and long lasting results for women after mastectomy and radiation for breast cancer treatment.
Fat grafting, stem cells enrichment and PRP therapy are the fundamental treatments of Regenerative Medicine which is the concept of using a patient’s own tissues to repair, restore and rejuvenate. The potential of Regenerative Medicine therapy to naturally restore youth and function to aging or damaged tissues is one of the most exciting and revolutionary concepts in aesthetics in many years.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of fat transfer and Regenerative Medicine at evolv in Toledo and Northwest Ohio, please contact our office to schedule a personal consultation.
For more information, refer to our website: