EVOLV Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics in Toledo is excited to now offer the TIXEL skin resurfacing technology to the Northwest Ohio region.
TIXEL is the latest non-ablative and non-surgical fractional skin rejuvenation system that utilizes a unique and proprietary form of energy delivery to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and globally improves aging or damaged skin of the face, neck, and body. TIXEL has created quite a buzz in the aesthetic scientific community… so, let’s find out what all the excitement is about and see if it’s warranted!
One of the distinctive advantages of EVOLV Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics, in Toledo, Ohio is the greater than 25 years of experience in clinical research, technology, and patient care as a comprehensive aesthetic practice offering surgical as well as non-surgical cosmetic options. This holistic approach to aesthetics for patients of all ages allows us to offer an extensive range of clinically proven options for each patient’s individual concerns, goals, and budget. These range from injectables such as Botox and dermal fillers, to laser and light therapies, radiofrequency microneedling, a variety of chemical peels, plasma energy resurfacing, advanced medical skin care as well as aesthetic surgery, all of which have been proven successful in improving overall skin health and the signs of aging as well as creating natural-appearing and safe results. With all these non-surgical and surgical options available at EVOLV, why would we ever need or consider another device or technology for treating lines, wrinkles, and aging skin?
Before considering another technology or device for our patients, we at EVOLV believe that we must answer several fundamental questions:
- Is it safe?
- Does it work?
- Is it reliable?
- Is it affordable?
- Does it improve results over other options?
- Is it well tolerated, comfortable, and with less or acceptable downtime?
After vetting considerable research and personal testing, the remarkable and unique thing about TIXEL is that it provides a resounding ‘yes’ answer to all of the above questions! So, let’s find out why there is so much excitement and buzz in the aesthetic professional community about the TIXEL.
What exactly is TIXEL?
TIXEL is an FDA-cleared and novel skin rejuvenation system that uses a proprietary method of energy delivery (‘thermo-mechanical’) to the skin to reduce aged or damaged surface cells and stimulate a substantial increase in collagen, elastin, and other natural cellular products associated with youthful skin. The other major benefit of TIXEL treatment is a temporary creation of open ‘micro-channels’ on the skin’s surface which allow the increased absorption of topically applied growth factors, exosomes, and other therapeutic skin care products resulting in a significant increase in healing and long-term youthful skin rejuvenation. TIXEL uses a sterile, medical-grade titanium tip, does not cause any burning or charring, nor emit any radiation or cause any puncture or visible skin wounds.
How does TIXEL work?
TIXEL utilizes a sterile titanium tip embedded with 81 ‘micro pyramids’ to rapidly deliver high levels of thermo-mechanical heat to the skin’s surface. There is no invasive or traumatic penetration of the skin. There are three options or settings for TIXEL treatments depending on treatment goals and skin condition:
- Open channel: this is the least aggressive setting and is used to create ‘micro-channels’ for increased growth factor and product absorption.
- Fractional or non-ablative: this is a moderate mechanical heat delivery setting that creates zones of treatment with unaffected zones in between the injured areas to reduce inflammation and downtime.
- Ablative: this is the most aggressive form of the treatment and results in more diffuse and deeper stimulation with more zones of micro-channels resulting in the maximum response of skin smoothing and tightening, collagen production, and overall rejuvenation.
What does TIXEL treat?
A series of TIXEL treatments can benefit a variety of skin conditions including:
- Fines lines and wrinkles
- General skin aging and sun damage
- Skin tone and texture, large pores
- Age spots and excess pigmentation, melasma
- Stretch marks and superficial acne scars
It should be emphasized that at EVOLV our experience has been that a personalized skincare program before and after any aesthetic treatment, including TIXEL, should be utilized to prepare the skin and allow the maximal improvement, avoid complications, and prolong the overall natural result of treatment.
How is TIXEL different from other options for improving fine lines, wrinkles, and skin tone?
- Revolutionary technology that allows high energy and heat to be delivered without burning or invasively penetrating the skin surface
- TIXEL energy is delivered superficially yet effectively so there is less discomfort
- There are no chemicals or light-based radiation with TIXEL so fine lines on the eyelids and close to the eye can safely be treated
- TIXEL sessions can be repeated in a series for best results and combined with other aesthetic treatments to optimize outcomes
- TIXEL treatments are relatively less costly and have considerably less downtime than some other comparable options
Who can benefit from TIXEL treatments?
- TIXEL is safe and can be used on all skin types for the face, neck, and body
- An initial medical history, examination, and photo documentation by an EVOLV professional provider, nurse, or licensed aesthetician, is required to determine if TIXELtreatments are the best option for each patient’s goals and concerns.
- TIXEL cannot be used on pregnant or breast-feeding patients, or if any untreated or active cold sores or skin disease in the treatment area
What are the major advantages of TIXEL treatments?
- FDA cleared and proven effectiveness in research and clinical studies
- Safe for all skin types and can be used on the face, neck, décolletage, and body
- Well tolerated with minimal discomfort (topical anesthetic or numbing creams are used prior to treatment)
- Non-surgical and office-based treatment with little to no downtime
- Recommended to be given initially in a series of 3-6 treatments and then an annual maintenance program to improve and extend results
How much does a TIXEL session cost?
- Tixel treatments are very affordable and consistent with other aesthetic treatments, but the cost will depend upon several factors for each patient including:
- The size and number of areas treated, and the time involved
- The type of skincare products recommended to be applied at the completion of treatment and during the post-treatment period
- All costs for each recommended treatment program will be discussed and provided to each patient prior to scheduling
What to expect during a TIXEL session?
- A topical numbing or anesthetic cream will be recommended to be applied to the cleansed intended area 1 hour before treatment to minimize discomfort
- Depending on the size and planned areas for treatment, each session will take between 30 and 90 minutes
- As the TIXEL is applied to the skin, a warm sensation may be experienced and is usually very well tolerated
- Depending on treatment goals and skin condition, more or less aggressive settings will be utilized and are precisely controlled
- Topical growth factors, exosomes, or other medical-grade skin care products will be recommended to enhance results and can be applied at the completion of treatment to maximize results and reduce redness and downtime
What to expect after a TIXEL session?
- Most patients experience a warm or ’sunburn’ sensation for several hours after treatment
- Redness and swelling at the treatment site typically last a few days depending on the aggressiveness of the settings
- There usually is no peeling or blistering but most patients experience some ‘micro crusting’ which typically clears within 3-5 days
- Medical grade sunscreen is recommended immediately, and makeup can usually be applied by 48 hours
- Improvement may be seen initially but is optimal by 1-2 months after treatment
How to get the best results from TIXEL therapy?
- As with all aesthetic treatments, prepping the skin with your professional skin care program is essential for optimal results with TIXEL both before and after treatment
- Most patients experience improvement after 1 treatment, but 3-6 sessions are always recommended and are best for optimal results
- Your EVOLV professional will suggest the recommended topical products such as growth factors and exosomes to enhance and extend your results
Your TIXELresults may be significantly improved and prolonged by adding other aesthetic options such as injectable neuromodulators (Botox) and dermal fillers, chemical peels, laser options, and especially pulsed light therapy (Forever Young BBL).
The TIXEL is a revolutionary device and all of us at EVOLV Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics in Toledo are excited to introduce this technology to our patients. We have reviewed many scientific and clinical studies and publications that support the efficacy, safety, and science of the TIXEL. We have also tested the TIXEL on our staff at EVOLV and evaluated the outcomes before introducing these treatments for our patient care. Our belief at EVOLV has always been that the most important factor in the application or treatment of any aesthetic product, procedure, or service is the education, training, credentials, and experience of the provider and this is especially true for TIXEL treatments as well. We have been particularly impressed with the improvement in fine lines and texture of the upper and lower eyelids and crow’s feet areas as well as those around the mouth with a series of TIXEL sessions. The other exciting potential is combining appropriate additional aesthetic treatments such as neuromodulators (BOTOX, Dysport, Xeomin), injectable fillers, and laser or light therapy such as BBL and medical skin care to provide more comprehensive, long-lasting, and natural results in healthy skin rejuvenation.
For more information on TIXEL including indications, preparation, aftercare, costs, and other information, we invite you to call or make an appointment with any of our professional staff at EVOLV.