Cheek or midface (malar) lifting is a surgical procedure that improves the appearance of the central face where the tissues at the lower eyelid extending down to the corners of the mouth and the jowl have descended. When done properly, the malar or mid-facelift can restore the youthful contours of the middle face structures and provide a natural, more youthful appearance. The cheek lift is sometimes performed with other facial procedures such as facelifting or an endoscopic brow lift.
Specifically, the cheek lift can treat:
- the deep groove developing beneath the lower eyelid called the naso-jugal groove or tear trough that deepens with aging.
- soft tissue redundancy or “bags” that develop in the cheeks and middle face below the eyes.
- flattening or loss of height of the cheek contour.
- the deepening crease extending from the side of the nose down around the mouth to the jaw line which is termed the nasolabial fold.
- the fatty collection in the lower cheek or jowl which develops as soft tissue descends from the upper face to the lower face.
Dr. Barone uses an individualized approach, and the midface lift will be planned if appropriate to address the patient’s specific aging concerns. The midface lift may be done in conjunction with skin resurfacing procedures for the best results.