The brow lift is a procedure to elevate the forehead, lateral eyelid and upper nasal skin and tissue and return them to their youthful position. Depending on the individual aging characteristics of each patient, the brows may be elevated or returned to their original location of youth.
Benefits of a Brow Lift
A brow lift:
- reduces or eliminates the deep creases of the forehead.
- improves and reduces the frown or “scowl” lines between the eyebrows.
- repositions low or sagging brows that hood the upper eyelid and may give a “tired appearance”.
- raises the eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position without overcorrecting.
Brow Lift Techniques
Dr. Barone prefers to perform brow lifts using the endoscopic approach in the majority of his patients. Unlike the traditional open brow lift which requires a large incision across the scalp, the endoscopic approach utilizes four small incisions located and hidden in the scalp.
There are several distinct advantages to the endoscopic approach:
- Smaller incisions which easily hide within the scalp hair, and shaving the hair is not necessary.
- The smaller endoscopic incisions allow preservation of the sensory nerves to the scalp.
- Does not remove any scalp or skin and does not overcorrect the brow position by elevating them unnaturally (which can result in a very “operated” look).
- Use of the endoscope allows for more precise surgical technique, resulting in less bruising and swelling post-operatively.
The brow lift is really an upper facelift and provides repositioning and support for the entire forehead and even the tissue of the upper eyelids and lateral temporal areas or lateral eyelid skin.
As with all of our cosmetic procedures, Dr. Barone prefers an individualized approach and the brow lift is planned to address specific aging concerns and avoid an artificial post-operative appearance. The endoscopic brow lift or upper facelift is often done in conjunction with eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), facelift or mid-facelift (malar lift), and skin resurfacing procedures.
Candidates for Brow Lift
The brow lift, also known as a forehead lift, restores the forehead, eyebrows and upper facial structures to their youthful position. It also corrects the loose, sagging skin of the upper eyelids and improves the crow’s feet and lateral temporal areas. Deep furrows or “scowl” lines and creases between the eyebrows are also corrected. As is true of all aesthetic procedures with Dr. Barone, the goal is to restore a balanced and natural youthful appearance.
Brow Lift Costs
As is true for other aesthetic surgery, the brow lift surgical costs will depend on the extent of the procedure, the length of time of the surgery and whether or not other procedures are combined. In order to achieve the most natural result, many patients will also have simultaneous correction of the eyes (blepharoplasty) or other facial procedures. After your exam and evaluation, our patient coordinator will review a surgical quote which will define all expenses for your procedures.
Brow Lift Recovery
If the brow lift is done by the endoscopic technique, which is Dr. Barone’s preference in most cases, the recovery time is minimal and the incisions are hidden in the scalp. Moderate swelling around the eyes is expected and bruising is typically small and infrequent but can be covered with camouflage makeup. If eyelid surgery or skin rejuvenation in done simultaneously, the recovery time is moderately longer. Tightness and immobility of the forehead is expected initially but usually resolves within several weeks.