This time of year is typically associated with vacation and less time spent at work. But we have been very busy at evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics because we have been working on introducing and developing some exciting and potentially game changing technology and services in aesthetic care for our patients. Although we have not finalized all the details, I would like to introduce some of the basic concepts and the reasons for our excitement:
New excitement with Microneedling?
Harnessing the skin and body’s stored potential to naturally repair, restore and rejuvenate new and healthy, young tissue is the very basic essential of bioregenerative medicine and is the fundamental principle in skin microneedling. Often termed ‘collagen induction therapy’ because off its unique ability to stimulate new collagen and elastin production in the skin, we are seeing a tremendous resurgence in demand for this aesthetic service because of the natural mechanisms that it stimulates in youthful skin rejuvenation as well as the long-lasting results.
There are two essential types of skin needling:
– Cosmetic Needling: a home program with very superficial needles, cosmetic skin needling is not painful and does not cause bleeding but can significantly improve skin care product absorption and results. Environ Skin Care’s state-of-the-art microneedling rollers combined with their proprietary topicals designed specifically for needling can improve wrinkles, sagging and aging of the face, as well as any body area and have been extremely exciting for patients.
– Medical Needling: a deeper treatment performed at the office by a trained medical aesthetician or nurse, medical needling usually requires a topical anesthetic and can improve fine lines, wrinkles, scars, laxity, stretch marks and general skin aging. There is a lot of excitement with the results experienced combining medical microneedling and topical biologic products such as platelet rich plasma (PRP) and specific growth factors and peptides such as ZO Skin Health’s Growth Factor Serum, Alastin Skincare’s Regenerating skin Nectar and Defenage Skincare’s Bioserum.
Combining the benefits of medical microneedling with the addition of controlled and precise delivery of radio frequency energy to specific levels in the skin make the Infini Genius by Lutronic the most advanced and effective microneedling technology on the market. The new technology improvements result in not only better results, but also more efficient and comfortable treatments. Combined with Alastin Skin Nectar pretreatment and then post procedure topical Defenage or PRP, Infini Genius therapy can provide a comfortable and timely service that improves skin tone, texture, pores, fine lines and general signs of skin aging. Infini Genius has also been used successfully to diminish excess sweating (hyperhidrosis) as swell as deeper acne and other scars.
Plasma Pen Therapy
evolv Medical Aesthetics is excited to introduce the Plasma Pen to the Toledo area. The Plasma Pen is a handheld device that uses proprietary ionized nitrogen gas to resurface and tighten the skin. Plasma Pen treatments are particularly effective to tightening skin laxity or creepiness around the eyelids and other facial areas. This is a minimally invasive office treatment that has already produced some significant results in restoring more youthful and firm eyelids and facial tissues.
At evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics, we are passionate about providing the most advanced and effective, research proven technology for our patient treatments. New advances in skin needling and topical biologics, the Infini Genius and the Plasma Pen offer clinically-proven and state of the art technology that provides outcomes in aesthetic treatments that are truly revolutionary and exciting. We invite you to learn more about these options from your evolv professional.
Now back to those lazy days of summer!
Rosacea affects more than 400 million people worldwide and over 16 million Americans!
So, what is ‘rosacea’ anyways? Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that affects adults and is typically seen on the central facial areas. It is characterized by persistent flushing redness, visible blood vessels (telangiectasias), inflammatory acne like pimples. In some cases, it may involve the conjunctiva of the eye (ocular rosacea).
Although rosacea may involve anyone, it is more common in middle aged women with fair skin and light features and most often from Scandinavian or northern European descent. Clinical research reveals that there is a 20 – 40% familial or inherited component in rosacea in addition to certain trigger factors that can influence the frequency and severity of the symptoms.
Although rosacea is not typically harmful and is not contagious, it can have a significant impact on a patient’s quality of life. The psychosocial impact can involve anxiety, embarrassment, low self-esteem in addition to affecting a patient’s work and dating or personal relationships.
Causes of Rosacea
There are multiple theories regarding the complex causes of rosacea in addition to the genetic or inherited tendencies and subsequently effective treatment. Most of the latest research on its pathophysiology identify several possibilities including blood vessel disease or inflammation, nerve or neurovascular sensitivities, autoimmune disorders or excessive reactivity of a patient’s immune system, and finally some studies have implicated a microscopic organism that is prevalent in the skin called the Demodex mite.
Proven Options to Reduce Rosacea
Because of the genetic or inherited component of rosacea, permanent elimination is not likely, but there are several effective and proven treatment options:
– Trigger avoidance – rosacea has been clinically linked to smoking, sun exposure (UV light damage), cosmetics and heavy makeup, cosmetic fragrances, certain soaps, spicy foods, excessive alcohol and stress. Becoming informed and being aware of these triggers can be helpful. New options in medical grade makeup that reduces inflammation and calms the skin are now available and have proven efficacy.
– Photo protection – using a medical grade sunscreen that does not contain fragrances and other additives that can trigger inflammation is extremely important. The UV component in sunlight is inflammatory and will thin the skin and blood vessels resulting in premature aging and more visible and inflamed vessels.
It should be emphasized that any patient with severe manifestations or uncontrolled rosacea should seek the evaluation of a board-certified dermatologist. In addition to the traditional medical management of rosacea, there are now several exciting and clinically proven new options that offer improved outcomes for the rosacea sufferer.
Comprehensive Medical Skincare for Rosacea at evolv
At evolv Medical Aesthetics, we believe in the power of restoring balanced and optimal skin health as the most effective therapy for achieving beautiful and youthful skin. Treating and controlling chronic inflammation is one of the fundamental steps in our skin health programs and is especially beneficial for the rosacea patient as inflammation is the most influential and universal trigger in all forms of rosacea.
This comprehensive approach will involve 3 essential steps:
1) Restore Skin Health: Get control of the inflammatory lesions with a ‘cleanse/scrub/oil control’ ZO Skin Health protocol to gently remove inflammatory oil, bacteria and debris that are triggers in inflammation. Also essential is a topical antioxidant and Vitamin A (retinoids) that neutralize inflammatory mediators and restore a healthy barrier function. Finally, protecting the rosacea prone skin is paramount and involves non-occlusive medical grade sunscreen with broad spectrum protection.
2) Light Therapy: visible blood vessels and redness can be dramatically improved by ‘broad band light’ or BBL. This proprietary technology is not a laser but a high intensity therapeutic light that coagulates the larger vessels and reduces excessive redness associated with rosacea. Combined with a personalized medical skin care plan and reasonable trigger avoidance, this approach has significantly improved rosacea long term for many patients.
3) Maintenance Programs: Combined with a healthy lifestyle, an anti-inflammatory diet and reasonable stress management, new products that reduce overall redness (Rozatrol from ZO Skin Health) have been clinically tested and have been effective in over 85% of rosacea patients. Maintenance BBL light therapy and LED red-light therapy are also helpful for long term rosacea control. New options in medical grade makeup from Colorescience and Jane Iredale have helped improve patient confidence and have health benefits for the skin.
Rosacea is a complex and challenging skin condition that can have a significant impact on quality of life.
At evolv, we have witnessed exciting and long-term improvement for our rosacea patients by utilizing the above comprehensive approach of treating inflammation and restoring skin health. Healthy skin with more efficient barrier function is less prone to inflammation and disease and can significantly improve quality of life for rosacea patients as well as patients of any age.
If you would like to learn more about rosacea and these new and exciting treatment options, please ask any of our skin care professionals at evolv Medical Aesthetics.
I was first diagnosed with acne when I was in high school. As a female in my early thirties, I still have periodic breakouts, albeit far less frequent or severe. Having acne weighs on you. It affects your confidence and makes you question what you should be doing differently. Any time you see a new blemish, you play detective to ascertain the cause. Did I consume the wrong food? Did I wear an occlusive makeup? Did I not change my pillowcase? For people who don’t suffer from regular acne, they may not understand the struggle, but even leaving the house can feel daunting when you have a face full of blemishes. Wearing makeup daily can became routine and cancelling plans out of embarrassment a commonplace occurrence. For those who don’t feel comfortable wearing makeup, showing their face to the world is perhaps even more intimidating.
To add insult to injury, after suffering from severe cystic acne, I was left with scarring. And not just post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (those dark marks left behind after a pimple heals), I had uneven texture and indented scarring. Far more difficult to correct, scarring can be even more traumatizing than the acne itself. You want nothing more than to confidently make eye contact with those around you, but you are constantly wondering, “are they looking at my skin?”
So, where am I in my acne journey? After obtaining a job with evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics, I have been privileged to try new skincare products and treatments geared to addressing my acne and the scarring that was left behind. With visible improvements, I feel hope. I see changes when I look in the mirror, and I am excited to share with my fellow acne/acne scarring suffers what has helped me improve my skin.
ACNE BASICS AND WHERE TO START
Let’s go back to the basics. What is acne? That question is easy to answer. Acne is a skin condition that occurs when oil and dead skin cells get trapped within the oil glands and hair follicle resulting in an infection. What causes acne? This question is far more difficult to answer and can cause frustration for acne sufferers everywhere. Things like genetics, diet, lifestyle and hormones can all play a role, but not all cases of acne are created equally. One thing is for certain – acne affects us, not just physically but emotionally. Whether it be moderate or more severe, acne can lead to low self-esteem, anxiety, and even depression.
The first step is to see a skincare professional who can diagnose your individualized skin type and concerns. Did you know that rosacea, a common skin condition that can cause redness and swollen bumps, can often be mistaken for acne? Schedule a consultation with a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon to establish your skin condition and start developing a plan of action.
Once diagnosed, it is important to note that acne does not resolve quickly. You need to give yourself and your skin a chance to heal. It can take 4-8 weeks to notice a marked improvement in your skin once you start an oral or topical medication and/or treatment program. Be patient because these medications can cause reaction like dryness, redness and flaking.
Topical products that contain ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and tea tree oil have all been known to help clam and clear the skin. You see many of these ingredients in over-the-counter (OTC) products, but it is best to see a professional to ensure that you are receiving medical-grade skincare.
Antibiotics, oral and topical, have been proven to help kill bacteria and reduce inflammation in the skin. If you are female and hormones play a role in your specific type of acne, birth control can be effective. Isotretinoin can be effective in addressing more severe forms of acne, but it can also have some of the worst side effects and should not be treated lightly. A doctor would need to prescribe any of these medications, so if you want to delve into one of these options, you will need to consult with a physician who specializes in medical skin care.
In-office treatments such as manual extractions, chemical peels, and light therapies have also proven beneficial for acne sufferers. If you are dealing with scarring left behind from acne, chemical peels, microneedling options, and laser-based therapies can yield dramatic improvements. Like anything, however, it takes time to see change in the skin, and you must be patient. Trained skincare specialists, referred to as licensed aestheticians, can perform most of these treatments, depending upon the state in which you reside. In Ohio, laser-based therapies need to be performed by physicians. Our trained aestheticians at evolv can recommend a comprehensive skincare regimen and treatment program tailored specifically to you and your unique skincare concerns.
WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME?
Except for Isotretinoin (Accutane), I have tried almost every possible acne therapy under the sun. You need to figure out what ingredients work well for you, but I respond very well to ZO Skin Health products, a medical-grade skincare line that can actually change the skin on a cellular level. Evolv Medical Aesthetics believes that a personalized skin care plan to restore and improve optimal health is the most effective way to treat and prevent acne. I am lucky to have an aesthetician who can tweak my regimen as needed and make additional recommendations based upon how my skin is behaving.
As for treatments, I feel like my results have been cumulative. Combining at-home skincare with treatments in the office (microneedling, chemical peels and laser therapy), I have seen visible improvements in my skin. I notice smoother skin and a healthy radiance I have never been able to achieve before. I still have redness, because I have also been blessed with rosacea, but my skin clarity and texture are also markedly improved.
My acne and acne scarring journey is not over. I don’t know if it will ever be over. I feel very lucky to be where I am, as a part of the evolv family. I want to continue to share with you what is working for me and my skin. If I am able to help even one person feel more confident in their own skin, I will count it a great success. If you are suffering from acne or acne scarring, you are not alone. You are part of a much bigger family than you realize, and we are here for you. If you want to start discussing options, call the office to learn more!
All of us at evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics would like to welcome you to the Holiday Season!
November is National Healthy Skin Month, and achieving and maintaining optimal skin health is something we strongly believe in and practice every day at evolv. Our skin health is often neglected or taken for granted with our hectic schedules particularly during the holidays. In honor of National Healthy Skin Month, here are a few interesting facts to consider:
– The skin is the largest organ in the body, and the average adult has approximately 16-22 square feet of skin weighing around 9-11 pounds.
– The skin surface completely renews itself about every 28 days by constantly shedding dead skin cells (a large part of the dust in your home actually came from your skin surface)!
– Your skin surface is home to millions of bacteria (over 1,000 species) and fungi!
– Healthy skin functions as a very selective barrier to keep out harmful toxins and pathogens while protecting, retaining moisture and regulating temperature.
– The skin is the source of more cancers in humans than all other organs combined…..one in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime, and one person dies of melanoma in the U.S. every hour.
– There are over 60 million Americans living with actinic keratosis, the most common type of pre-cancer of the skin.
– Multiple studies confirm that skin health and youthfulness has a significant impact on self-confidence, overall well-being and quality of life.
At evolv, we have witnessed how improving skin health can positively and powerfully impact the lives of our patients at any age and in many ways. We have also experienced how healthy skin can improve results and patient satisfaction in any cosmetic surgical procedure, as well as any non-surgical aesthetic treatment. Optimal skin health plays an essential role in the comprehensive aesthetic care that we provide for all of our evolv patients.
Personalized medical skin care programs with ZO Skin Health can reduce or prevent many of the signs of aging and restore youthful and ageless skin quality, as well as prevent or reduce the risk of cancer, acne and other inflammatory conditions, treat hyperpigmentation and rosacea.
During the cooler months, dry and dehydrated skin is very common and frustrating but can be effectively controlled or prevented and treated with an individualized skin care plan provided by Dr. Barone, Dr. Koltz or one of our evolv aestheticians.
This Holiday Season we would like to encourage everyone to consider the importance of their skin health and the effect it can have on reducing the risk of cancer, as well as improving quality of life. The reality is that healthy skin takes work, especially as we get older. We encourage you to come in and learn about the many exciting new and affordable options in aesthetic skin services, products and treatments that can achieve results in skin health and youthfulness far beyond most patients’ expectations. We believe in comprehensive, natural appearing outcomes and long term programs and would like to share these concepts with our patients and their families! So CHEERS from all of us at evolv to your new skin health and younger look!
Even though it was over 30 years ago, I will never forget her face.
She was a young mother and school teacher with 2 small children and I was a first year plastic surgery resident. She had a mastectomy for breast cancer and was left with a large and painful tight scar. The implant that had been placed by my instructor under the scar was hard, unnatural and uncomfortable…..at that time in the mid 1980’s there just were not many options or choices. She looked at me and I did not know what to say to comfort her. That was the day I decided to seek post graduate training in breast reconstruction and that young mother, with the eyes I cannot forget, changed my life forever.
This year an estimated 230,000 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer but less than 25% of those women will be aware of their reconstructive options before treatment. The breast cancer experience touches not only those women but also their spouses, their children, their families and their lives for years. The breast cancer experience involves much more than just removing a tumor or having a mastectomy, it is a journey that can involve medical and other post-operative treatments as well as impact a women’s personal life and self-confidence and relationships at every level. In short it will someday effect all of us and someone we love.
The really exciting news is that the breast cancer experience is changing significantly for the better for a variety of reasons:
– Education and Patient Awareness – public awareness and educational efforts by a number of professional organizations have resulted in women being more informed and aware of their options. The American Cancer Society, the American Society of Plastic Surgery, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, The Victory Center and many others are doing an incredible job of communicating useful information to patients and their families. The best informed patients make the best choices!
– Identifying Risks and Cancer Prevention – the most effective way to fight cancer is prevention. New research on nutrition and life style as well as genetic testing to quantify risk factors have actually made a substantial difference in breast cancer incidence. Advances in genetic mapping have made great progress and resulted in improved options and treatment outcomes for patients at risk. Prophylactic mastectomy or removing the breast tissue to prevent cancer in high risk individuals, as popularized by actress Angelina Jolie, can reduce cancer risk by 90-95% in appropriate patients and result in excellent aesthetic outcomes. We encourage everyone to learn more about these exciting advances in order to protect themselves and their families.
– Early Detection – After prevention, the next most effective way to impact breast cancer is early diagnosis. Improved patient education and self-exam, consistent doctor’s visits, advances in imaging techniques such as mammography, ultrasound, MRI and other scans have resulted in earlier detection of breast cancer and breast ‘pre-cancers’ which will improve the overall patient experience and outcomes as well as reduce breast cancer morbidity.
– Improved Surgical and Reconstructive Techniques – Significant advances in biomaterials for breast implants and implantable materials (acellular dermal matrix) to help shape breast reconstruction procedures, have resulted in much more natural breast shapes as well as improved safety and less recovery. Earlier detection and research on tumor biology have resulted in less invasive resection procedures (lumpectomy and mastectomy) and options such as sparing the breast skin and nipple in appropriate patients. Placement of implants above the chest wall muscle (pre-pectoral reconstruction) and advances in tissue flap surgery reduce recovery time and have improved results for patients dramatically. Our very own Dr. Peter Koltz, an associate with Dr. Barone at evolv Plastic Surgery, completed advanced training in tissue flap surgery for breast reconstruction last year and has been offering these options for patients in the Toledo area.
– Post Treatment Quality of Life Improvement – the consequences of breast cancer treatment do not stop after the procedures have ended. Many patients taking estrogen blocking medication or other targeted chemotherapy or radiation deal with side effects such as bone and heart health, hair loss, premature skin aging, tissue dryness and laxity, post-menopausal vaginal dryness and urinary incontinence. This often results in femininity and intimacy challenges, sexual difficulties and overall loss of self-confidence and intimacy. New advances in clinically proven topicals, non-estrogen growth factors and other therapies can reduce symptoms and help restore confidence and vitality. Regenerative treatments with platelet rich plasma (PRP) and other stem cell growth factors as well as collagen stimulating noninvasive technologies have given many patients much improvement in these issues and a better quality of life.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and October 17th is Breast Cancer Awareness Day (or ‘BRA Day’). Please support these worthwhile programs and help bring more awareness, education and encouragement for the many women, men and their families that are dealing with this life changing issue. We invite you to join myself, Dr. Peter Koltz and the evolv staff at Rosie’s on Wednesday, October 17th to support BRA DAY and spread the word on the improving awareness and quality of life for breast cancer patients and families.
Yes the breast cancer experience is changing for the better and helping improve the quality of life for many. Advances in clinical research, cancer biology, genetic testing, surgical and reconstructive option have transformed the breast cancer experience in such positive way. The quality and safety of new reconstruction choices and postoperative treatment options can restore a patient’s self-confidence and lifestyle. As plastic surgeons we now may often hear a post reconstructive patient say, “Doctor, I sometimes forget I had a mastectomy!”
And I am forever grateful to that young mother and cancer survivor that inspired me with her courage so many years ago.
The mission of creating and maintaining skin that is optimally healthy, youthful, vibrant and cancer-free is a passion that all of us at evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics share and believe in. As summer comes to a close, it’s an excellent time to evaluate your skin health and make a personalized plan to achieve these goals for yourself. Summer is a time when many patients have had excessive sun exposure, lending itself to hyperpigmentation, fine lines, premature aging and pre-cancerous lesions (actinic keratosis). These skin issues are especially prevalent this time of year, not only in older adults but also in many younger patients.
Unfortunately, we are all inundated by companies promoting the next ‘miracle’ cream that promises to quickly and easily erase skin damage and restore youthful skin. Promotions by celebrities and very clever marketing are all around us in the media and online, convincing even well-educated consumers to buy their product with unproven promises and unrealistic expectations. The sales tactic of ‘snake oil’ in a bottle and promising more youthful and beautiful skin has always been and remains an extremely effective marketing technique. But the truth behind their marketing is that there is rarely any science or credible research to back up these claims, and the majority of consumers end up spending significant amounts of their resources for ineffective products that are cleverly packaged and promoted. There is definitely a lack of trust and credibility in the skin care and cosmetics industry.
After nearly 30 years of involvement and dedication in medical skin care and skin health, I can assure you that the advice of Dr. Obagi, “real skin health takes work,” is spot on! In order to repair, restore and rejuvenate aging or damaged skin, one must understand the physiology of healthy skin and how it is designed to function naturally and optimally. Years of research and the benefits of science and biotechnology have opened the door to many exciting possibilities in achieving and maintaining youthful and healthy skin, as well as reducing cancer risk by utilizing and respecting the natural functions of the skin. Research supports the basic principles of skin health which are the fundamental of the ZO Skin Programs:
- Effective, but not traumatic, daily cleansing and exfoliation
- Restoration of a normal maturation cycle through conditioning and stimulation
- Repair of cell damage, excessive pigmentation, injury and disease
- Protection and reduction of inflammation
- Hydration and calming
- Protection from ultraviolet radiation and reducing skin cancer risk
Because of the interactive nature of the skin, as well as ethnic and environmental factors, every patient’s program must be personalized to each individual’s ethnicity, lifestyle and unique skin characteristics. Obviously no single product or treatment can repair and restore skin health. A medical history, complete evaluation and understanding of the comprehensive nature of skin function and health by an experienced and knowledgeable professional are absolutely necessary for achieving youthful, healthy skin and reducing the signs of aging and risk of skin cancer.
At evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics in Toledo, Ohio, we see many patients who are candidates for facial aesthetic surgery. Patients of all ages may be motivated to improve the signs of aging or to correct an abnormality that always bothered a patient throughout the years.
The Goal of Aesthetic Surgery
The goal of aesthetic or cosmetic surgery is not to “change” the patient, but rather the enhance their natural look, making them appear more youthful. When done properly for appropriate indications, that is exactly the result. However, one of the most common questions asked by patients is how long the results will last after surgery. This answer will greatly depend on how well the patient was prepared for their surgery, as well as consistently following the maintenance program after their procedure.
Facial Surgery Preparation
The technique and the experience of the plastic surgeon are important for the longevity of the result. It’s also very important how the skin was prepared before surgery and the maintenance program after. Skin that is prepared with the appropriate medical skin care program will respond to the surgery more effectively. A physician-supervised medical skin care program will improve skin health and increase circulation which will result in quicker healing, less swelling and reduced downtime. That is why evolv focuses on a pre-operative preparation program for all surgery patients.
Facial Surgery Results & Maintenance
After the procedure is complete, the next important consideration is maintenance. We try to educate all patients on the importance of a regular skin care program, which will involve scientifically-proven medical skin care products and sun protection, as well as healthy lifestyle changes. We have had long term and very exciting results with our ZO® Skin Health program for patients extending the longevity of their surgical results. After facial surgery, many patients can maintain the results much longer with the help of these programs by improving skin care.
In addition, new technology has allowed patients who have had surgery to extend the results using in-office or non-surgical maintenance programs. This may involve energy applications, such as radiofrequency with Exilis Ultra. It may include microneedling such as Eclipse MicroPen. An exciting new technology which combines the benefits of medical microneedling and radiofrequency energy, Infini RF can tighten and improve skin quality to enhance and maintain facial surgery results. Other programs offered at evolv include advanced chemical skin peels, light energy (IPL Redness Reduction and Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)), and other therapies that focus on increasing collagen production and rejuvenating skin quality which is very beneficial post- surgery in extending and in improving results.
Finally, one of the most advanced programs for maintenance after surgery is the use of fat grafting and stem cells, along with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) or growth factors obtained from the patient’s blood. Once the blood is drawn, it is centrifuged and the growth factors are extracted to enhance the skin response either with injection or mixing them with the patient’s own fat or stem cells. This is an area called regenerative medicine, which Dr. Barone believes will be the future for aesthetic surgery and aesthetic care.
Top Skin Care Tips for Maintenance
The top products for skin care maintenance are fundamental, usually involving a medical cleanser, an exfoliant, a retinol-based application (Vitamin A) and a medical sunscreen containing antioxidants. These are skin products that will reduce the signs of aging and keep the skin youthful and healthy, which will extend the surgical result.
Finally, we emphasize patient education, the importance of healthy nutrition, exercise, reducing stress and appropriate hydration. Your lifestyle and the overall health of your mind and body will affect the longevity of any facial or aesthetic surgical results. We believe in a long-term comprehensive program of general health and integrating medical skin care health as well. Our goal is for our patients to think of the bigger picture to enhance their appearance in addition to making them feel better about themselves, giving them more confidence, restoring their youthfulness and ultimately improving their quality of life.
ZO® Professional Treatment
evolv’s Summer Invisapeel™ Intensive Resurfacing Treatment is a no downtime, no peel, resurfacing treatment for all skin types, even sensitive or weakening skin. This treatment provides gentle exfoliation that immediately revives dull-looking skin, replenishes skin moisture, and minimizes the appearance of discoloration. Thus, this treatment promotes a more even skin tone and complexion.
Receive your skin’s barrier from sun damage and experience an Invisapeel™ Resurfacing Treatment today! Call our office for more details!
Watch below as one of our licensed aestheticians performs this treatment and revitalizes this beautiful young lady’s skin health & glow:
May is Skin Cancer Awareness month, so let’s look at the latest statistics on skin cancer in the USA.
- One person dies every 54 minutes from skin cancer (usually melanoma)
- An estimated 10,000 people in the US will die this year from skin cancer
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
- There are over 60 million Americans living with pre-cancerous skin disease
- It is estimated that more than 90% of skin cancer is preventable
These numbers are sobering and alarming, as is the increase incidence and rate of skin cancer, while many other cancers are decreasing in number.
It doesn’t have to be this way, particularly when the vast majority of skin cancer is preventable.
The good news, research, and technology in bioengineering have given us new opportunities and options in topical products, as well as services that can dramatically lower cancer risk and restore healthy, more youthful skin. But in most cases, it is not enough to use only sunscreen to lower skin cancer risk because of pre-existing ultraviolet radiation from sun exposure needs to be addressed in order to make a difference.
At evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics, we are passionate about using proven technology and products to prevent skin cancer, reduce pre-existing sun damage and pre-cancerous disease, and restore skin to optimal health and vitality.
“Evolv’s Top 10” suggestions for patients and anyone at risk:
- Be sure to select a proven or certified medical grade sunscreen; a recent study revealed that up to 75% of over-the-counter sunscreens (1,400 were tested) did not have the level of protection that was advertised. Some sunscreen actually broke down and became ineffective in sunlight.
- Sunscreen should be applied in all seasons, not just the summer months, due to UVA rays that are not affected by the time of year or seasons.
- The use of an effective topical antioxidant under your sunscreen may not only lower cancer risk but also reduce UV light-induced damage that can prematurely age the skin. Our favorite antioxidant is the Daily Power Defense by ZO® Skin Health.
- Exfoliating regularly, especially for patients over the age of 40, will not only improve skin quality and health but also reduces skin cancer risk by removing outer layer pre-cancerous cells, while simultaneously encouraging the production of new, undamaged cells to replace them. At evolv, we prefer the oscillating Clarisonic Brush with a ZO Skin Health facial cleanser.
- Please inform your family members, especially younger adults, that ALL tanning beds contain cancer-causing UV radiation. More than 420,000 causes of skin cancer in the US each year are linked to indoor tanning.
- For the many people with pre-existing pre-cancerous skin lesions, there are new and more effective treatment options that can significantly reduce cancer risk. Be sure to consult with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with experience in advanced medical skin care.
- Deeper skin resurfacing with chemical peels or medical lasers cannot only rejuvenate younger, healthier skin, but reduces cancer risk as well. Research from the Indiana University Department of Dermatology reveals that deeper resurfacing also stimulates the production of natural cancer preventing proteins in the skin.
- Consult with an experienced skin care professional to learn more about the exciting new options for skin rejuvenation that offer the possibility of reduced aging and lowering your skin cancer risk.
- Educate yourself and your family about inherited risk for skin cancer based on family history and the level of skin pigmentation. Education is your best defense to protect yourself and your family.
- Finally, be sure to have your skin completely examined at least once a year, and even twice a year for high-risk individuals, by your physician or an experienced skin care professional. Prevention and early detection are your best protection in fighting skin cancer.
Options of Skin Protection & Restoration
For May, Skin Cancer Awareness Month, evolv is offering many options to protect and restore your skin. With the purchase of ZO’s Daily Power Defense, our most effective multiple antioxidant, a deluxe Mini-Radical Night Repair (our most stimulating retinol product) will be provided at no charge. Other options in products and services will be available to provide protection, lower cancer risk and premature aging, and ultimately, restoring healthy, youthful skin.
As we prepare for summer, we hope everyone will make an effort to learn more about these new and exciting options in skin cancer prevention and optimal skin health. And by doing so, we can win the war against skin cancer while improving the quality of life for all of our patients and families.
Dr. Frank Barone, MD, FACS
According to one leading consumer protection agency, 75% of sunscreens offer inadequate protection, make claims that are false and misleading, or cause accelerated aging. Some of the biggest brands are developing and selling sunscreens that, according to the Environmental Working Group, not only fail, but fail miserably. So how can you know you are safe from a sunburn?
Here is how ZO Skin Health’s Sunscreens are different and can help protect your skin from sunburns: ZO sunscreens not only protect our precious skin cells, but in each of ZO’s 4 sunscreens they provide DNA repair and prevention of future oxidative stressors (which causes premature aging and damage to our DNA). We at Frank Barone MD and evolv Medical Aesthetics are proud of ZO’s meticulously developed sunscreens, and I want to fill you in on the top 5 reasons why!
- Exclusive to ZO, they are formulated with fractionated melanin which ZO Skin Health Sunscreen helps provides protection against HEV light. This natural fractionated melanin is absorbed into the skin and shields against HEV light.
- They are rich in powerful antioxidants that provide daily multi-defense protection which work to fight free radical damage caused by environmental aggressors as well as UVA and UVB.
- Exclusive 12-hour time release antioxidant complex which helps neutralize free radical damage, which leads to inflammation that can lead to pigmentation. So instead of antioxidants getting dumped into the skin all at once, they continuously provide nutrients all day while neutralizing free radicals and encouraging the repair of damaged DNA!
- Enriched with hydrating skin conditioners and lipid restorers, ZO’s sunscreens enhance the skins barrier function to combat and prevent dry, dehydrated skin due to prolonged environmental exposure while encouraging skin to look youthful, soft, and smooth.
- They provide anti-irritant and soothing benefits to help prevent skin redness and inflammation caused by sun exposure that can lead to new skin damage.
Let us help you choose which ZO sunscreen is just right for you!
Oclipse Sunscreen+Primer SPF 30, Oclipse-C SPF 50, Oclipse Sun Spray SPF 50 (for face and body) and Oclipse Smart Tone SPF 50.
In addition to your daily sunscreen it is recommended
that you also use ZO Daily Power Defense that can improve the cancer protection of sunscreens as well as reduce aging changes in the skin. This product contains enzymes that initiate and speed up the repair of DNA and contains antioxidants, hydrators, retinol for skin cell renewal and collagen production acting as a super booster to your sunscreen. Talk about preventative aging!
By Lindsay Cole, Licensed Aesthetician