At evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics in Toledo, Ohio, we see many patients who are candidates for facial aesthetic surgery. Patients of all ages may be motivated to improve the signs of aging or to correct an abnormality that always bothered a patient throughout the years.
The Goal of Aesthetic Surgery
The goal of aesthetic or cosmetic surgery is not to “change” the patient, but rather the enhance their natural look, making them appear more youthful. When done properly for appropriate indications, that is exactly the result. However, one of the most common questions asked by patients is how long the results will last after surgery. This answer will greatly depend on how well the patient was prepared for their surgery, as well as consistently following the maintenance program after their procedure.
Facial Surgery Preparation
The technique and the experience of the plastic surgeon are important for the longevity of the result. It’s also very important how the skin was prepared before surgery and the maintenance program after. Skin that is prepared with the appropriate medical skin care program will respond to the surgery more effectively. A physician-supervised medical skin care program will improve skin health and increase circulation which will result in quicker healing, less swelling and reduced downtime. That is why evolv focuses on a pre-operative preparation program for all surgery patients.
Facial Surgery Results & Maintenance
After the procedure is complete, the next important consideration is maintenance. We try to educate all patients on the importance of a regular skin care program, which will involve scientifically-proven medical skin care products and sun protection, as well as healthy lifestyle changes. We have had long term and very exciting results with our ZO® Skin Health program for patients extending the longevity of their surgical results. After facial surgery, many patients can maintain the results much longer with the help of these programs by improving skin care.
In addition, new technology has allowed patients who have had surgery to extend the results using in-office or non-surgical maintenance programs. This may involve energy applications, such as radiofrequency with Exilis Ultra. It may include microneedling such as Eclipse MicroPen. An exciting new technology which combines the benefits of medical microneedling and radiofrequency energy, Infini RF can tighten and improve skin quality to enhance and maintain facial surgery results. Other programs offered at evolv include advanced chemical skin peels, light energy (IPL Redness Reduction and Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)), and other therapies that focus on increasing collagen production and rejuvenating skin quality which is very beneficial post- surgery in extending and in improving results.
Finally, one of the most advanced programs for maintenance after surgery is the use of fat grafting and stem cells, along with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) or growth factors obtained from the patient’s blood. Once the blood is drawn, it is centrifuged and the growth factors are extracted to enhance the skin response either with injection or mixing them with the patient’s own fat or stem cells. This is an area called regenerative medicine, which Dr. Barone believes will be the future for aesthetic surgery and aesthetic care.
Top Skin Care Tips for Maintenance
The top products for skin care maintenance are fundamental, usually involving a medical cleanser, an exfoliant, a retinol-based application (Vitamin A) and a medical sunscreen containing antioxidants. These are skin products that will reduce the signs of aging and keep the skin youthful and healthy, which will extend the surgical result.
Finally, we emphasize patient education, the importance of healthy nutrition, exercise, reducing stress and appropriate hydration. Your lifestyle and the overall health of your mind and body will affect the longevity of any facial or aesthetic surgical results. We believe in a long-term comprehensive program of general health and integrating medical skin care health as well. Our goal is for our patients to think of the bigger picture to enhance their appearance in addition to making them feel better about themselves, giving them more confidence, restoring their youthfulness and ultimately improving their quality of life.
ZO® Professional Treatment
evolv’s Summer Invisapeel™ Intensive Resurfacing Treatment is a no downtime, no peel, resurfacing treatment for all skin types, even sensitive or weakening skin. This treatment provides gentle exfoliation that immediately revives dull-looking skin, replenishes skin moisture, and minimizes the appearance of discoloration. Thus, this treatment promotes a more even skin tone and complexion.
Receive your skin’s barrier from sun damage and experience an Invisapeel™ Resurfacing Treatment today! Call our office for more details!
Watch below as one of our licensed aestheticians performs this treatment and revitalizes this beautiful young lady’s skin health & glow:
May is Skin Cancer Awareness month, so let’s look at the latest statistics on skin cancer in the USA.
- One person dies every 54 minutes from skin cancer (usually melanoma)
- An estimated 10,000 people in the US will die this year from skin cancer
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
- There are over 60 million Americans living with pre-cancerous skin disease
- It is estimated that more than 90% of skin cancer is preventable
These numbers are sobering and alarming, as is the increase incidence and rate of skin cancer, while many other cancers are decreasing in number.
It doesn’t have to be this way, particularly when the vast majority of skin cancer is preventable.
The good news, research, and technology in bioengineering have given us new opportunities and options in topical products, as well as services that can dramatically lower cancer risk and restore healthy, more youthful skin. But in most cases, it is not enough to use only sunscreen to lower skin cancer risk because of pre-existing ultraviolet radiation from sun exposure needs to be addressed in order to make a difference.
At evolv Plastic Surgery & Medical Aesthetics, we are passionate about using proven technology and products to prevent skin cancer, reduce pre-existing sun damage and pre-cancerous disease, and restore skin to optimal health and vitality.
“Evolv’s Top 10” suggestions for patients and anyone at risk:
- Be sure to select a proven or certified medical grade sunscreen; a recent study revealed that up to 75% of over-the-counter sunscreens (1,400 were tested) did not have the level of protection that was advertised. Some sunscreen actually broke down and became ineffective in sunlight.
- Sunscreen should be applied in all seasons, not just the summer months, due to UVA rays that are not affected by the time of year or seasons.
- The use of an effective topical antioxidant under your sunscreen may not only lower cancer risk but also reduce UV light-induced damage that can prematurely age the skin. Our favorite antioxidant is the Daily Power Defense by ZO® Skin Health.
- Exfoliating regularly, especially for patients over the age of 40, will not only improve skin quality and health but also reduces skin cancer risk by removing outer layer pre-cancerous cells, while simultaneously encouraging the production of new, undamaged cells to replace them. At evolv, we prefer the oscillating Clarisonic Brush with a ZO Skin Health facial cleanser.
- Please inform your family members, especially younger adults, that ALL tanning beds contain cancer-causing UV radiation. More than 420,000 causes of skin cancer in the US each year are linked to indoor tanning.
- For the many people with pre-existing pre-cancerous skin lesions, there are new and more effective treatment options that can significantly reduce cancer risk. Be sure to consult with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with experience in advanced medical skin care.
- Deeper skin resurfacing with chemical peels or medical lasers cannot only rejuvenate younger, healthier skin, but reduces cancer risk as well. Research from the Indiana University Department of Dermatology reveals that deeper resurfacing also stimulates the production of natural cancer preventing proteins in the skin.
- Consult with an experienced skin care professional to learn more about the exciting new options for skin rejuvenation that offer the possibility of reduced aging and lowering your skin cancer risk.
- Educate yourself and your family about inherited risk for skin cancer based on family history and the level of skin pigmentation. Education is your best defense to protect yourself and your family.
- Finally, be sure to have your skin completely examined at least once a year, and even twice a year for high-risk individuals, by your physician or an experienced skin care professional. Prevention and early detection are your best protection in fighting skin cancer.
Options of Skin Protection & Restoration
For May, Skin Cancer Awareness Month, evolv is offering many options to protect and restore your skin. With the purchase of ZO’s Daily Power Defense, our most effective multiple antioxidant, a deluxe Mini-Radical Night Repair (our most stimulating retinol product) will be provided at no charge. Other options in products and services will be available to provide protection, lower cancer risk and premature aging, and ultimately, restoring healthy, youthful skin.
As we prepare for summer, we hope everyone will make an effort to learn more about these new and exciting options in skin cancer prevention and optimal skin health. And by doing so, we can win the war against skin cancer while improving the quality of life for all of our patients and families.
Dr. Frank Barone, MD, FACS
According to one leading consumer protection agency, 75% of sunscreens offer inadequate protection, make claims that are false and misleading, or cause accelerated aging. Some of the biggest brands are developing and selling sunscreens that, according to the Environmental Working Group, not only fail, but fail miserably. So how can you know you are safe from a sunburn?
Here is how ZO Skin Health’s Sunscreens are different and can help protect your skin from sunburns: ZO sunscreens not only protect our precious skin cells, but in each of ZO’s 4 sunscreens they provide DNA repair and prevention of future oxidative stressors (which causes premature aging and damage to our DNA). We at Frank Barone MD and evolv Medical Aesthetics are proud of ZO’s meticulously developed sunscreens, and I want to fill you in on the top 5 reasons why!
- Exclusive to ZO, they are formulated with fractionated melanin which ZO Skin Health Sunscreen helps provides protection against HEV light. This natural fractionated melanin is absorbed into the skin and shields against HEV light.
- They are rich in powerful antioxidants that provide daily multi-defense protection which work to fight free radical damage caused by environmental aggressors as well as UVA and UVB.
- Exclusive 12-hour time release antioxidant complex which helps neutralize free radical damage, which leads to inflammation that can lead to pigmentation. So instead of antioxidants getting dumped into the skin all at once, they continuously provide nutrients all day while neutralizing free radicals and encouraging the repair of damaged DNA!
- Enriched with hydrating skin conditioners and lipid restorers, ZO’s sunscreens enhance the skins barrier function to combat and prevent dry, dehydrated skin due to prolonged environmental exposure while encouraging skin to look youthful, soft, and smooth.
- They provide anti-irritant and soothing benefits to help prevent skin redness and inflammation caused by sun exposure that can lead to new skin damage.
Let us help you choose which ZO sunscreen is just right for you!
Oclipse Sunscreen+Primer SPF 30, Oclipse-C SPF 50, Oclipse Sun Spray SPF 50 (for face and body) and Oclipse Smart Tone SPF 50.
In addition to your daily sunscreen it is recommended
that you also use ZO Daily Power Defense that can improve the cancer protection of sunscreens as well as reduce aging changes in the skin. This product contains enzymes that initiate and speed up the repair of DNA and contains antioxidants, hydrators, retinol for skin cell renewal and collagen production acting as a super booster to your sunscreen. Talk about preventative aging!
By Lindsay Cole, Licensed Aesthetician
Restoring and optimizing skin health is a passion of ours at evolv Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics. We believe in and have experienced the power of improving skin health and appearance to significantly benefit the quality of life for patients. That is why science-based and personalized medical skin care is a fundamental component of all of our aesthetic programs.
New science and research in skin physiology have created exciting opportunities and hope for the care of acne-prone patients. Acne is a complex and multi-factorial disease that requires thorough evaluation by a professional and, consequently, may require comprehensive treatment.
Light Therapy – Light emitting diodes (LED) have been FDA approved for directly reducing acne-causing bacteria in the skin as well as reducing the disturbing redness and inflammation associated with acne pimples and infections. LED light treatment for acne is extremely effective, painless and without any significant side effects.
Medical Skin Care – ZO Skin Health leads the industry in innovative, evidence-based skin care. Their unique product formulations for acne prevention and reduction work through the fundamentals of skin cleansing, reducing oil production and inflammation, and actually result in healthier skin. Proper skin peels are also an essential benefit for acne prone skin and are incorporated in treatment protocols.
Nutrition/Supplements – Acne is an inflammatory disease, as are the majority of skin and health problems. Focusing on an anti-inflammatory diet is fundamental to skin health. In addition, novel skin health supplements have been developed, combining specific vitamins with plant-based phytonutrients (Skin Accumax), that can significantly reduce acne outbreaks and supplement the diet.
Acne Scar Treatment – Although the majority of acne scars are permanent, they can be significantly improved by new technology utilizing laser energy, collagen induction therapy with micropen procedures like the Eclipse, non-surgical radiofrequency such as Infini, injectables, fat grafting and other exciting, research-based services.
We encourage you to explore these safe and effective options with our professional staff.
Since we began medical skin care in our practice over 20 years ago, I have attended numerous meetings in this dynamic and exciting area of medicine. However the Ultimate Skin Health Symposium in Los Angeles in which I just participated stands out as one of those events that will profoundly affect the future of medical skin care. The event was hosted by Dr. Zein Obagi, one of the originators of advanced skin care concepts and the original founder of Obagi Medical Systems, although he is no longer affiliated with the original Obagi company. He had invited the most innovative national and international experts in evolving trends in skin wellness and treatment including other dermatologists and plastic surgeons.
The concept of comprehensive long term programs to maximize skin health has been a major focus of our medical practice and Evolv and was the main theme of this meeting; it was exciting to see these principles and their applications with new products, services and technologies. This emerging new philosophy, which I find very exciting, is the concept of total skin health as the fundamental basis in all areas of skin aging and treatment. This principle focuses on prevention, correction and long term skin health as the best approach in treating disease or improving aging.
Stay tuned……..this January we will be announcing some exciting new options in skin care and treatment!
- Choose a high-quality sunscreen to protect against new damage to the skin. Radiation from the sun passes through the skin, creating DNA damage and free radical exposure which can cause skin cancers and a breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin; resulting in wrinkles premature aging changes. Do your research on sunscreens! Recent independent studies have shown that many of them are not as effective as stated on the package. Look for a medical grade product, or look for a sunscreen that has The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation. These products have met specific criteria to receive the certification. All of the ZO and EltaMD sunscreens at evolv – including Jane Iredale makeup with SPF – are backed by the Skin Cancer foundation’s Seal of Recommendation. Learn more here: http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/seal-of-recommendation.
- Use your sunscreen properly. All sunscreens should be reapplied every 2-3 hours, especially during the middle of the day when the sun’s rays are at their peak. It is a good idea to reapply after swimming, even if your product says that it is “Water Resistant.” For best protection, apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before going outside. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to ears, exposed scalp or hair part, and don’t forget about lips!
Get a good lip balm with SPF, we like EltaMD’s UV Lip Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 31 and Jane Iredale Lip Drink SPF 15.
- Enjoy the summer weather but learn how to manage your exposure. As mentioned above, a good quality sunscreen with reapplication every 2-3 hours is important but also limiting your time in direct sunlight and wearing sun protective clothing and hats are excellent ways to keep your skin healthy and safe from the sun.
- If you have a professionally recommended skin care regimen, don’t stop during the summer. Have you ever heard the saying “one step forward and two steps back”? Stopping your skin care regimen in the summer can reverse some of the damage that you have spent time and money correcting. Remember that sun damage is cumulative and adds up over time, so if you have a history of high sun exposure, SPF may not be enough to protect you against skin cancer. Using quality skin care products including antioxidants and retinols (vitamin A derivatives) in addition to sunscreen can keep your skin in top shape throughout the summer months, and all year-round. Applying an antioxidant product before your sunscreen is particularly effective in reducing fine lines, wrinkles and loss of elasticity. Regular use of retinol in the evening, along with exfoliation of the top layers of skin with products or professional skin treatments will keep new, fresh and healthy skin visible and will also reduce damaged cells that can over time lead to skin cancer. Your skin care professional can educate you on how to use your products to optimize safety, results and skin health.
- If you want color, choose sunless tanning products or services – don’t tan! When you get a tan from the sun or indoor tanning, the color change you see is the skin trying to protect itself from damage. Indoor tanning is even worse, concentrating UV light to deliberately produce that “golden tan,” which is really just visible damage to the skin. Sunless tanning products have come a long way, and can produce very natural results. Seek out a reputable spray tan professional for excellent results, and if you can’t go for spray tans as much as you’d like, ask them to recommend a home product you can use to keep up your tan without the damaging and premature aging that results from excessive sun exposure.
Dr. Frank Barone and Dr. Zein Obagi discuss the differences and advantages of a physician-recommended skin care program with 13abc’s Rebecca Regnier! (Original air date 8/14/2016)
Sunscreen (when formulated properly with quality ingredients) can protect you from DNA damage that can cause skin cancer, but it does not eradicate or repair damage from past sun exposure and burns. Dr. Barone will be demonstrating a “home peel” using ZO Skin Health by Zein Obagi, MD‘s Advanced Radical Night Repair and explains how this treatment can help by both exfoliating the outer layer of skin – removing damaged cells, and by stimulating the deeper layers of the skin to make new healthy cells.
The At-Home Stimulation Peel can be done over a period of 3, 5 or 8 days. We suggest you work with your evolv aesthetician if you are interested in this peel, as it may produce an aggressive response in the form of redness, peeling, itching and irritation. Dr. Barone did the 5-day version of the At-Home Peel Stimulation Peel.
Special Peel Event
Peel Days April 14th & 15th – 20% off ZO Peels and up to 20% off products! $50 reservation fee required to schedule.
$99 Skin Care Service
Express Yourself combines a relaxing facial with the exfoliating power of a dermaplane, finished off with a powerful ZO Masque all in 30 minutes!
ZO Ossential Lash Enhancing Serum – Buy One, Get One Free
Spring Makeup Exclusive
Purchase the new Naturally Matte Eyeshadow Kit and receive a free makeup application – great gift for Mother’s Day!
Enhance your Infini RF and Eclipse MicroPen results with the Renew free gift from evolv and ZO Skin Health when you purchase a package of these services.